Tuesday, November 4, 2008

The Accident

After church this past Sunday, Mary and I decided to take a ride to the cabin . We were driving north on Maple Island Road when we saw something in the road ahead of us that didn't look right. When we got closer we realized it was a head on collision that had just happened and we were the first to arrive on the scene. I jumped out of the car as Mary was calling 911. I was not prepared for what I was about to see. The young man who was driving the car was not moving. The man and woman in the van appeared to be seriously injured. In the back seat of the van I saw a 4 year old boy who was crying but seemed to be alright. Other people started to stop and began to help, but we couldn't get any of the car doors open. Someone handed me a tire iron and I broke out the back window of the van. Another man went inside and carried the boy out. Then we realized there was another boy in the back seat. I was able to open the side door and carry him out. The young boy seemed to be unconscious and not breathing, so I laid him in the grass. A woman and I started to perform CPR. Not long after we started, emergency help arrived and took over. After aeromed had arrived and the ambulance had left, we left with pits in our stomachs. We later learned that the drivers of both vehicles and the two year old boy that I had carried out of the van had not survived. The four year old suffered a broken arm and a concussion. The woman in the front seat was flown to Spectrum and remains in serious condition. We also learned the man and woman in the van were grandparents of the two boys. Please keep the family and friends of the victims in your thoughts and prayers.














3 comments:

GITTYUP said...

Wow, I heard about this yesterday. I'm so sorry you had to witness this. We will keep that family in our prayers as well as you and Aunt Mary. I'm sure it has been hard. Talk to you soon,
Jenni

Anonymous said...

I Thank God for people like you. Your family will be in my prayers.

Keith De Witt said...

Here is a update on Amy the Grandmother in the accident. We met her family at the hospital on Sunday. She is still in an induced coma. She has both arms, legs, wrists, and hips broken. Many rods have been put in and she is expected to have a very long recovery.