Wednesday, December 17, 2008

"I GOT HIM"



I GOT HIM, that is what I was telling everyone who I talked to last night. I have been hunting for this buck hard all season. It all came to an end last night at 4:45 when he ran out into the field.
Now for the whole story. I have to thank Eric and Jason for all their help in finally shooting this great buck. Eric and Jason got their bucks early in the bow season. They then went to work to help me get this one. Eric hung tree stands and put up tent blinds where he thought I could get him. Jason never stopped putting up and always moving the trail cameras as he tried to find out where this guy was living. I shot him out of a blind that Jason had moved to this field this fall. I never hunted for a specific buck before this year. We had so many trail cam pictures of him but never in the day light. Then on November 12 Eric got video of him at 10 yards. Whenever we got together we talked about how to hunt this buck. Just Monday Eric and I were looking at aerials trying to figure out where he was living and where to sit. Our last picture of him was December 13 so I knew he was still in the area. It was then that I decided to sit on this field where we have all the pictures, the rest of the season. It was a perfect night to hunt. Cold and a storm coming, they would be feeding on the food plot early. The field was full of deer when this buck came running out onto the field. It was all over in 30 seconds. I made a perfect shot through the heart at 100 yards and he folded up after running 25 yards. He was just under 23 inches outside with a nice double brow tine. He scored 152 inches gross. My biggest Michigan buck ever. Thanks again Eric and Jason and Mary for putting up with me the last two months!

It was a family affair celebrating in the barn last night.

Even the Gisele and Jacob got in on the fun.
A group of happy hunters. This group shot eight bucks this year with five of them being personal best ever scores.

8 comments:

GITTYUP said...

Wow, that is a huge buck! It doesn't look like it is from around here. I guess the deer management is working! Congrats!
And thanks for the Christmas card, it is so cute!
Jenni

Meeuwsens said...

I think that is the one Brian shot in Iowa and they could never 'find'. :) You snuck it home, didn't you? Ha,ha...nice buck! And yes, Brian was FULL of lots of stories from Iowa...he said it was a chance of a lifetime and is thankful for the opportunity!

Anonymous said...

Nice Job Keith. All the hard work paid off.

Brian M.

Anonymous said...

You deserved it! You and the boys have been working hard to accomplish this type of hunting here in Michigan. GREAT job!

Mike VW

Ashley said...

I was so excited when I got a voicemail saying "its your happy pappy...I got the big one!" congrats dad...can't wait to come home and hear all about it. Wish I could've been there to celebrate...see you in a few days!

Anonymous said...

Congrats - Nice Christmas present for you. Tom Van Wyk

Anonymous said...

Wow! You outdid yourself on that one! Enjoyed the cinematography too. You didn't act the least bit proud or happy! Congrats! Marv J

Unknown said...

DeWitt Boys,

I have been privileged to see some of the pics of the deer y'all have harvested this year. I am trying to develop a herd management plan for my dad's place in Hastings. In due time, hopefully we will be successful. Happy Holidays to you all.

Matt Neil